J-1 Visa Waivers

Every year over 30,000 individuals come to the United States on J-1 visas. These visas are issued to participants in work-based or study-based visitor exchange programs. Program categories include professors, research scholars, professional trainees, interns, college or high school students, teachers, specialists, foreign medical graduates, au pairs, camp counselors, and State Department-sponsored international visitors. J-1 visa applicants must demonstrate a high level of English language proficiency and carry their own medical insurance.

Read More ...

What Happens If I Overstay My Visa?

Unfortunately, this question is not always easily answered. Although it is true that a visa overstay can result in a three to 10-year ban from entering the United States, what qualifies as a true overstay is not always as simple as staying past an expiration date. Nor are those that do overstay their visas always subject to deportation. When determining what qualifies as an overstay,

Read More ...

A Look at Philadelphia’s Foreign-Born Residents

The Pew Charitable Trusts recently conducted an extensive study into the make-up and scale of Philadelphia’s immigrant populations, how they impact the work force and economic growth of the city, and how they compare to communities across the country.

Researchers found significant growth in the numbers of foreign-born residents, when compared with cities of the same size and the rest of the nation.

Read More ...

What is ICE and What Do They Do?

As the outrage over the separation of families at the U.S.-Mexico border continues to grow, some protesters are lobbying for an end to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency (ICE). What may be confusing to many observers is that ICE, established in 2003 to defend the United States border, is not the government agency responsible for separating these families or policing the country’s border.

Read More ...

New Unlawful Presence Rule

On August 9, 2018, the Trump administration will begin cracking down on students who violate the terms of their temporary F-1 or J-1 visas. A new guidance has been issued that will apply a harsher standard to students than those that apply to tourists in the United States for business or pleasure. It is also stricter than the standard that applies to workers and executives.

Read More ...

Marriage-Based Green Card

Foreign-born men and women who marry a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident can apply for a green card. Marriage does not automatically guarantee citizenship. Though this is a fairly common way to obtain a green card, it can be a lengthy and complex process.

A marriage green card allows the spouse of a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident to live and work anywhere in the country.

Read More ...